Title

Laura Bambrey Books

It's all about the books... News. Reviews. Interviews

Friday, 21 July 2017

#LoveAudio Week with Orenda Books: Review: In Her Wake by Amanda Jennings


If you think that reading a seriously good psychological thriller can get under your skin like nothing else, then I've got an experience that will top that... and that's listening to an exquisitely written psychological thriller being read to you by a fantastic narrator.


This week, to celebrate #LoveAudio week, I have had the absolute pleasure of listening to the audio book of In Her Wake by Amanda Jennings. I have to thank Orenda and Audible for the review copy in return for an unbiased review... and I have to admit- I'm not really sure where to start!

Perhaps the first thing I should do is set the scene for you. You may be aware that as well as blogging and reviewing books in my spare time, I also work as a pet and portrait artist. This entails spending up to 40 hours per portrait sat at the table with a pencil in my hand working on the minutest of details. Last week, I had two commissions to complete back-to-back - but the book-loving, reviewer part of my head was desperate to be reading. In comes the audio book of In Her Wake. So- the first thing I have to offer in this review is a love letter to audio-books in general. They are not something I've indulged much in in the past- but this gripping thriller had me hooked, and allowed me to immerse myself in both my passions- art and books- simultaneously. Who'd have thought that so much enjoyment could be found sitting staring at a piece of paper for so many hours at a time.

So, on to the story. In Her Wake. I now know what all the fuss was about back when the novel was first realised. Does Amanda Jennings know how to write or what?! In turns intensely creepy, claustrophobic, heart-wrenching, sad, breath-snatching, moving and strangely uplifting. I just didn't expect to have such an emotional reaction to it.

Bella's life as she knows it is torn apart not once, not twice but three times in quick succession. With everything she thinks she knows turned upside down, she follows the only scrap of a clue she has left and goes in search of answers. She finds herself in Cornwall where answers begin to surface. But in finding one answer, she is only faced with wave after wave of more questions and a mystery that has haunted her family for 25 years.

It's something quite incredible to get that "can't put the book down" feeling with an audio-book. I sat at my portraits for long hours between breaks- not able to hit that pause button. I went to bed with my headphones in, listening long into the night (ah, the joy of not having to worry about keeping my tired eyes open!). I set the alarm an hour earlier to start listening first thing in the morning, and the brilliant narrator accompanied me in the car every day on my way to and from the day-job. I was completely hooked. 

I can't recommend this incredible story-telling experience highly enough. In Her Wake is a chilling and complex psychological thriller which is beautifully narrated, and will have you listening late into the night.

Win Your Free Audio Copy Here:

I've got two Audible audio book copies of In Her Wake up for grabs thanks to the lovely guys at Orenda. Simply enter below and I'll draw two winners after 12am on Monday, 24th July. The lucky winners will receive a code and instructions on how to download and listen to their free copy of In Her Wake.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

The Blurb:

A tragic family event reveals devastating news that rips apart Bella's comfortable existence. Embarking on a personal journey to uncover the truth, she faces a series of traumatic discoveries that take her to the ruggedly beautiful Cornish coast, where hidden truths, past betrayals and a 25-year-old mystery threaten not just her identity but her life.

Chilling, complex and profoundly moving, In Her Wake is a gripping psychological thriller that questions the nature of family - and reminds us that sometimes the most shocking crimes are committed closest to home.

And if you can't wait to get your hands on it and want to listen to your copy this weekend- you can grab it from Amazon here:

No comments:

Post a Comment