Title

Laura Bambrey Books

It's all about the books... News. Reviews. Interviews

Monday, 24 July 2017

Guestpost: Linn B Halton: Research for The Secrets of Villa Rosso took … time!

With her new novel, The Secrets of Villa Rosso released last Friday, I'm thrilled to welcome Linn B Halton to the blog to hear all about the research that goes into crafting her novels.

Research for The Secrets of Villa Rosso took … time!
by Linn B. Halton


A question I’m often asked is about research. After all, it’s fiction, right? Isn’t it easy to simply make it all up?

Well, the answer is that while the plot is fiction, there’s a whole framework it sits within which requires factual information.

People usually assume that research mainly applies to the location and I do tend to feature locations I’ve visited, because I think that’s quite important. So that you can give the reader an atmospheric ‘feel’ for the setting you have to be able to describe everything - from the sights, to the sounds and the smells. But I’m talking about the other elements within the story.

For The Secrets of Villa Rosso the research list was a long one. It was set in a period after the
disastrous olive harvest in 2014, which was quite crucial to the story. I needed to carry out a lot of research to understand the impact on those affected. It was worldwide news but it takes time to read and digest the information, in order to build a story around it.

Having visited the area, I still had to research an unknown beach location which would feature briefly in the story. Being unable to ‘hop on a flight’ to check it out, I spent time finding a beach that was within a reasonable travelling distance and getting to know it so I could describe it with accuracy.

And then there’s the topic of flights. When a character in one of my stories travels, I always spend time researching distances and routes etc. So, if you were doing the same journey, at the same time in the year, that’s what you would be experiencing. Ellie Maddison’s flights were real, as were the distances and route she travelled by taxi to Villa Rosso itself.

Villa Rosso is fictional, of course, it could be one of any number of beautiful old villas in the area. Many have vast olives groves, as well as orchards and, of course, vines. I hope I managed to convey to my readers the ambience that wrapped itself so beautifully around me when I visited the area. And yes, I can still close my eyes and conjure up the smells - the hot, sweet, air laden with oleander blossoms will never leave me. What comes to mind? Bubblegum and perfume.

As for food - well, the meals described were things I’ve sampled for myself on my travels to Italy. I hope that if you take a trip to Castrovillari, I will have tempted you to try some of the dishes Ellie was presented with and, overall, that you would feel a sense of recognition. Now … let me take you on a little trip to Italy …

The Blurb:


Some places stay with you forever…

When Ellie Maddison is sent on a business trip to Southern Italy, she's reminded why she loves her job – set amongst rolling vineyards and rich olive groves, the beautiful Villa Rosso is the perfect escape from her life back home. But what Ellie isn't prepared for is the instant connection she feels to the estate's director Max Johnson, or the secrets they share that are as intertwined as the rambling vines that cover Villa Rosso.

It's not long before Ellie finds herself entangled in the history of the place, trying to understand the undeniable effect Max is having on her. As their relationship grows, what will Ellie discover about this idyllic villa and those who have walked through its doors?

What started as a simple work trip will change Ellie's life forever.

Grab your copy now:

Kindle:                              Paperback:
     

About the author:


Linn writes chick lit, cosy mystery/romances, romcoms and women’s contemporary fiction – from the heart, for the heart.
written

Bristol-born Linn, lives in the Forest of Dean in the UK with her lovely husband and Bengal cat, Ziggy.

"I'm a hopeless romantic, self-confessed chocaholic and lover of strong coffee. For me, life is all about family, friends and writing.

Most weekends I can be found either in the garden weeding, or with a paint brush in my hand - house renovation and upcycling furniture is another passion of mine! Oh, and I do enjoy the occasional glass of White Grenache..."

Linn's novels have been short-listed in the UK's Festival of Romance and the eFestival of Words Book Awards. Linn won the 2013 UK Festival of Romance: Innovation in Romantic Fiction award.

An Amazon UK Top 100 best-selling author with A Cottage in the Country in November 2015, Under the Stars also became a best-seller in November 2016 and A Little Sugar, A Lot of Love in January 2017.

Linn is published by Harper Impulse, Choc Lit and Endeavour Press. Linn is rep’d by Sara Keane.

Website/blog: http://linnbhalton.co.uk/
Twitter: @LinnBHalton
FB: Linn B Halton Author

1 comment:

  1. So lovely to be here today, Laura and it's very kind of you to invite me over. I so love the look of your website and those graphics are amazing!

    ReplyDelete