Title

Laura Bambrey Books

It's all about the books... News. Reviews. Interviews

Tuesday, 4 July 2017

Blogtour: Guestpost: The Hen Party by Emily Benet

I'm delighted to welcome the fabulous Emily Benet to the blog today with a guestpost as part of her tour for her fourth book, The Hen Party, which is out now!


The Hen Party - How Moving to Mallorca Inspired a Novel
by Emily Benet


When I tell people I've written a novel called The Hen Party and it's set in Mallorca, they immediately think of the scandalous beach resort of Magaluf. If you haven't heard of it, then I'm glad I wasn't the only one. Before I moved to the island, I thought it was in Greece. I remember half-heartedly watching a documentary about tourists behaving badly there and feeling sorry for the Greek police!

My husband and I made a snap decision to move to Mallorca. I'd been twice in my life. Once, when I was 18 months old - apparently it snowed - and later for a wedding, where I hardly stepped out of the villa.  But being half Spanish and having lived in Barcelona as a teen, the language wasn't going to be a problem and I was sure the Mediterranean culture would feel familiar. On the crack of dawn flight over, I got my first taste of the Magaluf vibe as everyone got stuck straight into the booze for breakfast. That was to be the first of many rowdy flights to and fro from England and there was always at least one hen or stag party among them. It definitely sewed the seed for my book!

Within days I was besotted with Mallorca and I knew I had to set a book there. I was also determined to write a story driven by multiple protagonists. I'm a huge fan of Liane Moriarty and Deborah Moggach. I love their style of telling stories through different characters who are all interlinked. There's always a secret, or lie, at the centre of their stories which always ends up coming to light. Inspired by my favourite authors, I embarked once... twice... three times on The Hen Party. It took me four attempts and thousands of deleted words before I was happy.

Magaluf does feature but it's not the main location. This is not about hens behaving badly... I mean, it's not JUST about hens behaving badly anyway. The hens are all part of a hen party Reality TV show being filmed on the island. The novel begins with the director turning up at their villa to find the entire cast and crew have gone missing. Bit by bit, through each character revealing their part of the story, you find out what happened.

Write the book you want to read, is a common piece of given to writers. Sunny location, drama, secrets, comedy and romance I think I've got all the elements I love in a book. Now my fingers are crossed my lovely readers will love it too!

Grab your copy here:


Kindle: Paperback:
    


The Blurb:


Film Director, Kate Miller, is in serious trouble.  The entire cast and crew of the reality TV show The Hen Party has gone missing while filming in Mallorca. 

To make matters worse, the network boss has just flown in and will be arriving any minute to check up on her production.

Kate thinks it's all her fault. She hasn't exactly been following the guidelines. 

But if she is to blame, why were the hens arguing between themselves? And why is the groom-to-be calling her up in tears?

Kate doesn't know the half of it. The hens have their own secrets and it's only matter of time before they all come tumbling out.   

A party of eight arrive on the island, but not everyone's going home.


About Emily Benet:


The Hen Party is Emily Benet's 4th book.  Her debut book, Shop Girl Diaries, began as a blog. Her
second, Spray Painted Bananas, racked up a million hits on the online platform Wattpad and  led to a 2 book deal with Harper Collins. They published her Wattpad book under the new title The Temp as well as her comedy about social media addiction, #PleaseRetweet. She lives in Mallorca with her husband and writes for abcMallorca magazine.

Connect with Emily:

Website www.emilybenet.com
Facebook www.facebook.com/EmilyBenetAuthor
Twitter www.twitter.com/@EmilyBenet

No comments:

Post a Comment