Title

Laura Bambrey Books

It's all about the books... News. Reviews. Interviews

Friday, 24 February 2017

Blogtour: #Friday5: 5 Questions With Jennifer Joyce

It's my turn on the blog tour for The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts by Jennifer Joyce. I'm excited to welcome Jennifer to the blog for this week's #Friday5 interview...

1. Tell us a bit about the research behind The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts– any speed-dating involved? (and was there cake?!)

There was definitely cake (any excuse) but no actual speed dating. I’m not sure my husband would approve if I took my research as far as dating other men, so I had to use good old Google to make sure I was on the right track!

2. Tell us a bit about your writing routine… how long it takes you to write a book, how you find your way into the story etc.

During term-time, I write while my daughters are at school, and at the weekends if I’m falling behind my word count goals or I’m approaching a deadline. During the school holidays, I write in the evenings instead.

The first draft of The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts took nine weeks (I know this because I kept a little diary while writing the book, which I shared on my blog recently), but that’s pretty quick and I usually take a little longer, plus there are second, or even third, drafts after that – and that’s before it’s sent off to my editor!

I like to plan books before I start writing them, which can range from an extended synopsis to a full-
on chapter-by-chapter plan. It really depends on the book.

3. Do you have a favourite book? Author? Genre?

There are a few books that I read over and over again – Jane Green’s Bookends and Babyville, Kiss Him Goodbye by Victoria Routledge, and Lisa Jewell’s One-Hit Wonder and Thirty Nothing. I love all of these books and never get bored of them, but my favourite is Thirty Nothing as I adore the main characters, Dig and Deen, and their friendship that you know (and hope) will lead to more.

While romantic comedies are my favourite books to read, I’m also a massive fan of Dorothy Koomson as I think her writing is so beautiful and engaging – it always hooks me in and often makes me cry.

I still read as much as I can when I’m busy writing – although it doesn’t always end up being a lot when I’m hurtling towards a deadline!

4. You made me crave cake like nobody’s business all the way through reading Maddie’s story- so I have to ask, what’s your fave cakey treat?

I love cake. Lots of different kinds of cake. But my absolute favourite is cheesecake. It’s heaven on a plate.

5. Can you tell us about what you’re working on next?

I’m working on another book for HQ Digital, which is another women’s fiction/rom com. It’s set at a British seaside town during the summer, which has been a challenge imaging while we’ve all been shivering through winter.

Huge thanks to Jennifer for taking the time to join me today. 

-------

Jennifer Joyce is a writer of romantic comedies who lives in Manchester with her husband and their two daughters. Her latest novel, The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts is out now. You can find out more about Jennifer and her books on:


-------

The Blurb:

Maddie Lamington’s dreams are crumbling around her. If she doesn’t come up with a plan to save her little teashop on Sweet Street soon, it might be too late…


So when she sees how the perfect apple crumble brings together her lonely father and faithful customer Birdie, inspiration strikes: she’ll set up a dating night involving all her sweetest bakes.

Luckily, seriously gorgeous Caleb is on hand to help sprinkle a little magic – and a lot of sugar! Could one night of scrumptious first dates fix Maddie’s heartbreak and save her beloved teashop, too?


No comments:

Post a Comment