Title

Laura Bambrey Books

It's all about the books... News. Reviews. Interviews

Tuesday, 24 January 2017

Review: The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan


There are those rare moments in life when a book comes along that feels like it has been written especially for you. Every nuance, character and tiny quirk chimes somewhere deep inside your heart- making the story soar. For me, this is that book.

What I’m about to say is pretty momentous for any book-lover- (without wanting to upset any of my other much loved books)- I have found my new all-time favourite.

Ageing writer Anthony Peardew has been trying to atone for a mistake he made years ago. Every single item he finds and meticulously catalogues is an apology for his broken promise. Now, aware that his time is coming to an end and the importance of the endless task he has created with his collection of lost objects, he appoints his successor as The Keeper of Lost Things.

Laura has been disappointed with many things in life- but her work at Padua as Anthony Peardew’s assistant has never been one of them. When he leaves Padua to her, it saves her, but the task that comes with the bequest threatens to overwhelm her… as does the scent of roses, her new friendship with Sunshine, the music, and the gardener…

So, what made this such a special book? Everything! The cast of characters is incredible- very real,
complex, flawed and loveable. I adored the relationship between Bomber and Eunice- possibly one of the most moving love stories I’ve ever read. Sunshine was a brilliant character- beautifully written and offering a completely fresh perspective on the story (and life). And Laura… well you can’t help but be on her side through it all.

The writing itself was beautiful, weaving the gentle storylines together perfectly and dotting them with short vignettes tied to the different lost items. I particularly liked the fact that the author didn’t feel the need to spell everything out for the reader- but allowed a sense of whimsy and magic to carry you through the story- taking whatever you want from it. This is why my copy is going to be read and re read so many times - it’s a story full of layers, and I have  the feeling that I’ll be discovering parts of it for years to come.

The other thing that really drew me to this book is something personal. I’m a complete magpie too- and felt so close to Laura, Anthony- and - having read more about Ruth Hogan - I feel an affinity with the author herself.

Over the years, I have collected everything- from random lost objects I’ve found in my wanderings (buttons, beads, teddies, gloves… the list is endless… as is my collection!). So- you see, this is why I feel like this book was written for me… and I suppose that must be the mark of the very best of books.

The Keeper of Lost Things is a love story to everything (and everyone) that is lost, and the fragments of life-stories they hold.

Grab your copy here: (this is such a stunning cover- I thoroughly recommend treating yourself to the hardback!! Out Thursday 26th January 2017)

Hardback:                          Kindle:
      

The Blurb:

MEET THE 'KEEPER OF LOST THINGS'...

Once a celebrated author of short stories now in his twilight years, Anthony Peardew has spent half his life lovingly collecting lost objects, trying to atone for a promise broken many years before.
Realising he is running out of time, he leaves his house and all its lost treasures to his assistant Laura, the one person he can trust to fulfil his legacy and reunite the thousands of objects with their rightful owners.

But the final wishes of the Keeper of Lost Things have unforeseen repercussions which trigger a most serendipitous series of encounters...

With an unforgettable cast of characters that includes young girls with special powers, handsome gardeners, irritable ghosts and an array of irresistible four-legged friends, The Keeper of Lost Things is a debut novel of endless possibilities and joyful discoveries that will leave you bereft once you've finished reading.

WE'RE ALL JUST WAITING TO BE FOUND...

4 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful, off to add to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it Adele- let me know how you get on!

      Delete
  2. Added to my Goodreads list! It sounds lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina! I hope you enjoy it- I'm already looking forward to a re-read :)

      Delete