Title

Laura Bambrey Books

It's all about the books... News. Reviews. Interviews

Wednesday, 21 December 2016

Weekly Series: Doomed Date Diaries by Bethany Quinn: Part 3

Are you ready? Just 4 days to go 'till the big day. I know for one that I'm having a love-affair with our gorgeous Christmas tree. It's the first thing I say hello to in the morning and the last thing I say goodnight to at the end of the day... hmmm.... maybe the Christmas spirit is addling my brain :) It's okay though, I'll leave you in the very capable hands of Bethany Quinn and part three of Doomed Date Diaries...

Part 3


Doomed Date Diaries by Bethany Quinn


32. Henry



Turns out that Henry wasn’t after a girlfriend at all. He was more interested in selling me home contents insurance. I promised faithfully that I’d look through the brochures while he was at the bar. I lied. I watched him having an argument instead. They’d obviously just informed him how much a large glass of decent red wine was.

It reminded me of the day that I broke up with David- the five short minutes that made me single again- the reason I was now sitting in a pub in West London waiting to have a drink with an insurance salesman who was offering a 10% discount and accidental damage cover for a bicycle that I don’t even have.

I was doing the washing up when David made a rare trip into the kitchen that didn’t entail getting a beer from the fridge. I’m sure he thought they grew in there.

‘I think we should see other people,’ he said.
‘Okay,’ I said flatly. ‘Are you breaking up with me?’
‘No,’ he said, as if I was a complete idiot and he’d been willfully misunderstood.
‘You are really, aren’t you?’ I said.
‘No,’ he repeated, trying to hug me but getting a soapy rubber glove in the face. ‘I like living with you, I just think we need to expand our horizons a bit that’s all.’
‘I could buy some new DVD’s,’ I offered helpfully.
‘I mean meet new people.’
I could feel my eyebrow arching with suspicion. ‘Are you talking in general or about someone in particular?’
‘Generally,’ he said rather unconvincingly.
My suspicious eyebrow didn’t believe him for a minute.
‘So, you still want to live with me in my flat, rent-free, but you want to see other people too. Is that about the strength of it?’ I asked.
‘Yes,' he said.
‘So what happens if you meet someone you like more than me?’ I said. That threw him.
‘That won’t happen will it? I love you and you love me.’
‘But what if you did and wanted to bring them back to the flat?’
David shrugged. ‘You wouldn’t mind going out would you?’
And that was that. ‘Why don’t you move out right now,’ I said. ‘In fact I’ll help you pack.’

Two years down the drain. Henry came back from the bar with a tiny glass of house red. Somehow I felt equally cheated.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment