Title

Laura Bambrey Books

It's all about the books... News. Reviews. Interviews

Thursday, 22 December 2016

Review: Summer at Skylark Farm by Heidi Swain


See, the thing about me is that I’m completely contrary. It’s the week before Christmas, and I have to be honest - all I’ve been craving is the British summertime- golden-warm days, strawberries and cream, village fairs, long lazy evenings and walks in the country.

When I was little, one of my favourite books was a Winnie the Pooh one. I can’t remember the exact title, but it was all about spending a year with Pooh and the gang. My favourite two pages were the mid winter and mid summer ones, which went something like…

On the coldest day of the winter, think about the warmest day in summer.
On the hottest day of summer- think about the coldest day of the winter.

Yup- that sums me up pretty well!

Well, thank goodness I had Summer at Skylark Farm to give me the slice of perfect summertime that I’ve been craving. I’ve spent the last week rooting for Amber as she makes the jump from city-girl to farm-girl, bringing her own breath of fresh air, wonderful positivity and oodles of charm with her as she attempts to turn around the ailing farm, along with Annie and Jake.

Annie is a fab character- I loved her eccentricities, and I swear that I may have met her at one of the country shows I went to back in the summer. The description of the fierce competition over the cake baking and sewing competitions were so spot-on, they had me in stitches (pun intended!)

The women in this book were brilliant- real and relatable, and I’d very much like to spend more time with them. The only character I didn’t really warm to was Jake. I wasn’t keen on his behaviour towards Amber, and I can’t say that his moody ways set my heart racing. He was completely believable- just not my type of hero I guess. However – this didn’t dent my enjoyment of this gorgeous story one little bit.

A warm, gentle reminder of summer. Just what the doctor ordered.

The Blurb:
Amber is a city girl at heart. So when her boyfriend Jake Somerville suggests they move to the countryside to help out at his family farm, she doesn't quite know how to react. But work has been hectic and she needs a break so she decides to grasp the opportunity and make the best of it.

Dreaming of organic orchards, paddling in streams and frolicking in fields, Amber packs up her things and moves to Skylark Farm. But life is not quite how she imagined - it's cold and dirty and the farm buildings are dilapidated and crumbling.

But Amber is determined to make the best of it and throws herself into farm life. But can she really fit in here? And can she and Jake stay together when they are so different?

Grab your copy here:

No comments:

Post a Comment