Title

Laura Bambrey Books

It's all about the books... News. Reviews. Interviews

Monday, 19 December 2016

Book Haul & The Best Christmas Book-Gifts

In the lead up to Christmas my postbox has been a bit quieter than usual- but I did receive this beauty in amongst the blizzard of Christmas cards- a proof copy of Secrets & Fries At The Starlight Diner which came out on kindle on Friday. 

This is the second book in the Starlight Diners Series- but will be my first foray into Helen Cox’s writing, and I’m really looking forward to it.

Here’s the blurb:

What brings Bonnie Brooks to The Starlight Diner? And why is she on the run?

As the front-woman in a band, Bonnie is used to being in the spotlight, but now she must hide in the shadows.

Bonnie only has one person who she can turn to: her friend Esther Knight, who waitresses at the Fifties-themed diner. There, retro songs play on the jukebox as fries and sundaes are served to satisfied customers. But where has Esther gone?

Alone in New York City, Bonnie breaks down in front of arrogant news reporter, and diner regular, Jimmy Boyle. Jimmy offers to help her. Can she trust him?

When the kindly owner of the Starlight Diner offers Bonnie work, and she meets charming security officer Nick Moloney, she dares to hope that her luck has changed. Is there a blossoming romance on the cards? And can Bonnie rebuild her life with the help of her Starlight Diner friends?

***


So that’s it for my book haul this week- a bit thin on the ground as I’ve been too busy picking books for other people rather than myself- but here’s a quick lowdown of the three books I’ve been buying multiple gift copies of this year...

My Top Three Books to Give as Gifts:


Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent

I fell in love with Liz’s writing when I was sent my review copy of her debut Unravelling Oliver. Lying in Wait is her second book, and is just as disturbing as the first. Perfect for fans of dark, twisty psych-thrillers, beautiful writing, and particularly nasty characters! 

Grab your copies here
You can find my original review here

The Blurb:
My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it.'

Lydia Fitzsimons lives in the perfect house with her adoring husband and beloved son. There is just one thing Lydia yearns for to make her perfect life complete, though the last thing she expects is that pursuing it will lead to murder. However, needs must - because nothing can stop this mother from getting what she wants...


One Last Summer at Hideaway Bay by Zoe Cook

The book that made me cry. This was a cracker- and one that I’ve enjoyed buying for friends throughout the year because it has a lot of warmth and heart along with the heartbreak.

Grab your copies here
You can find my original review here

The Blurb:
Secrets lie waiting beneath the Cornish waves in this moving and unforgettable love story. Perfect for fans of Nicholas Sparks, Kelly Rimmer and Jojo Moyes.

Lucy, hi. It’s Tom. How are you? It’s been a while. I’ve been meaning to get in touch but it’s hard to know how to after so much time. I hear you’re doing really well up there. I knew you would be.

You should come here, you know, back to Hideaway bay. Come and see everyone, see how little it’s all changed. Feel the sand between your toes, the Cornish sea breeze on your face. When the sun hits the surf in that way it does, it’s as magical as ever.

That’s why I’m writing to you, actually. I want to get the gang back together again, one last time before…well…just one last time. You should come too. The four of us, a summer on the beach, like old times. We all want you here for it. I want you here for it. It’s been so long since I saw you.

I still think about you.

Tom

The Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent

This is THE ultimate gift-book for book-lovers. A love letter to books, it is quirky and beautiful. A true classic in the making and one I will always have a copy of. Probably my surprise-favourite book of the year. Definitely one to treasure in hard-back.

Grab your copies here
You can find my original review here

The Blurb:
An irresistible French sensation - Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore meets Amélie - The Reader on the 6.27 explores the power of books through the lives of the people they save. It is sure to capture the hearts of book lovers everywhere.

Guylain Vignolles lives on the edge of existence. Working at a book pulping factory in a job he hates, he has but one pleasure in life . . .

Sitting on the 6.27 train each day, Guylain recites aloud from pages he has saved from the jaws of his monstrous pulping machine. And it's this release of words into the world that starts our hero on a journey that will finally bring meaning into his life.

For one morning, Guylain discovers the diary of a lonely young woman: Julie. A woman who feels as lost in the world as he does. As he reads from these pages to a rapt audience, Guylain finds himself falling hopelessly in love with their enchanting author . . .

The Reader on the 6.27 is a tale bursting with larger-than-life characters, each of whom touches Guylain's life for the better. This captivating novel is a warm, funny fable about literature's power to uplift even the most downtrodden of lives.

What books have you been buying recently? What’s your fave book to give to people?

What’s your fave book to give as a gift? Which books are you hoping to find in your Christmas stocking?

No comments:

Post a Comment