Title

Laura Bambrey Books

It's all about the books... News. Reviews. Interviews

Saturday, 11 June 2016

Review: See How They Run by Tom Bale

I was lucky enough to meet Tom Bale at one of the Author / Blogger Shenanigans organised by Kim Nash earlier in the year, so I was super-excited to read See How They Run when it became available for review on NetGalley.

I have to say that as gripping as the opening scene is- filled with sinister threat and a setting up the mystery that will take you all the way through to the end of the plot- I hadn’t expected it to be such a grim read. Tom was such a funny, friendly bloke that I was rather shocked at the violence and threat evident in the set up of the book- so much so that I wasn’t 100% sure that I was going to be able to hack reading the rest of it.

Problem was, of course, that I was hooked. I wanted to know what was coming next… and next… and next… and there I was, suddenly at the end of the book- blimey, what a ride!

I think that a lot of the allure of this story is that it is a trio of ‘normal’ people who get caught up in a world that couldn’t be more alien to them, and the fact that one of the trio is an 8 week old, innocent baby serves as a great counterpoint to the horrible crimes that are in play throughout the book.

There were a couple of elements that I wasn’t massively keen on. As I mention above, part of the allure is the fact that this is all about terrible things happening to normal people- but I found that at times, Alice and Harry are passive characters- they’re just being swept along by the tide of what’s happening to them rather than having much say or part in creating their own story. However, in the third act, this is turned on its head, creating an un-put-downable climax.

Minor, vague spoiler coming up – skip to next paragraph to avoid. The second thing that I wasn’t 100% sure of was the ending. I like to see the baddies get a good, thorough comeuppance if they are caught – and there were a couple in this that I really wanted dealt with thoroughly… but it was left fairly open as to what would happen to them. For me, this pair were the main villains of the piece, and I would have enjoyed knowing that they were dealt with!

All in all, it was a good read- very uncomfortable at times, with one of the most gripping opening scenes I've ever read and an action packed, fast-paced third act. I’ll be interested to see what Tom Bale comes up with next!

The Blurb
How far would you go to save your family?

In the dead of night, new parents Alice and Harry French are plunged into their worst nightmare when they wake to find masked men in their bedroom. Men ruthless enough to threaten their baby daughter, Evie. 


This is no burglary gone wrong. 

The intruders know who they’re looking for – a man called Edward Renshaw. 
And they are prepared to kill to get to him. 

When the men leave empty handed, little do Alice and Harry realise that their nightmare is just beginning. Is it a case of mistaken identity? Who is Renshaw? And what is he hiding? 


One thing is clear – they already know too much. 


As Alice and Harry are separated in the run for their lives, there is no time to breathe in their fight to be reunited. And with their attackers closing in, there is only one choice: 


STAY ALIVE. OR DON’T. 


No comments:

Post a Comment