Title

Laura Bambrey Books

It's all about the books... News. Reviews. Interviews

Thursday, 21 April 2016

Review: My Map of You by Isabelle Broom

Hi guys, first of all, a huge apology for going AWOL for the last few weeks. I’m going to blame it firmly on BT- seems our line was partially disconnected at the post- resulting in no phone service and the slowest broadband connection known to man kind.

But the lovely engineers have been and done their thing- and I’m back online- and thank goodness for that- brilliant timing as I’m just in time to wish the lovely Isabelle Broom a very happy book birthday for her unmissable debut – My Map of You.

My Map of You tells the story of Holly Write. Having lost her mother, Holly has carefully constructed an existence for herself. She becomes the perfect girlfriend to Rupert, maintains her London life with a steady job, and successfully keeps her real self under wraps and everyone, including Rupert, at arms length.

When Holly receives the news that an unknown aunt has left her a property on the island of Zakynthos, her long-hidden family history threatens to break through the cracks that begin to form in her life and the persona she’s worn as a mask for so many years.

I loved everything about My Map of You. The setting of Zakynthos makes for mouth-watering reading, and set against the drab alternative of London- it’s enough to make even the most stay-at-home reader develop a terrible case of wander-lust. Isabelle Broom writes with such sensual detail, I feel like I’ve been on the best holiday of my life- complete with the smell of suncream, golden sand between my toes and the most beautiful of sunsets. I’ve been feeling homesick for Zakynthos ever since finishing My Map of You… (and in case you were wondering- I am the stay at home reader and haven’t left Britain in about a decade!)

The mystery of Holly’s family history, combined with the story of the real Holly being lost under a protective layer for so long, is mesmerising- and kept hooked right the way through the novel.

The characters are fantastic- I loved Rupert- not as Holly’s boyfriend, but as someone I’ve met so many times over the years. The gorgeous Aidan was as scruffily perfect as I could have ever hoped for, and Holly… well you’ll have to read the book and decide for yourself. But I loved Holly.

My Map of You is a beautiful love story. A love story between a girl and a boy. A love story between a girl and an island. And most movingly, a love story between a girl and her true self.

Absolutely stunning- make sure you read it - OUT TODAY!

The Blurb:

Holly Wright has had a difficult few years. After her mother's death, she's become expert at keeping people at a distance - including her boyfriend, Rupert.

But when Holly receives an unexpected letter explaining that an aunt she never met has left her a house on the Greek island of Zakynthos, the walls she has built begin to crumble. Arriving on the island, Holly meets the handsome Aidan and slowly begins to uncover the truth about the secret which tore her family apart.

But is the island where Holly really belongs? Or will her real life catch up with her first?

Paperback:              Ebook:


See you soon,

Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment